Sunday, November 14, 2010

Buttermilk-Brined Fried Chicken Recipe

Photobucket


Fried Chickens is one of my old time favorite dish. It always satisfy me and made my days when I'm down. I'm not as lucky as everyone who get fried chickens since the day they born. I came from a small town which is an island. Nothing much you can get and slow from picking up with the trends. I grew up eating fried chicken wings cooked by my mom or my grandmother besides that; I never taste any fried chickens till the FIRST Kentucky Fried Chicken came to town. Can't really remember when was it but I do remember the whole town was so excited and been packed for weeks.

That's when I fall in love with fried chickens. I never taste anything like that especially the spicy crispy chickens. So YUM!! BUT I'm a picky eater too… I only likes the wings and legs and never like the breast cause breast tasted too dry for me. And wings and legs are more moist which I like.

And now, I'm living in a place where I can get a lot of variety of fried chickens but too bad, it's a drive to get a fried chickens. Sometimes, it's a bit lazy when you want a quick meal. That's when I decided to cook my own fried chicken.s Been trying a lot of recipes and found this recipe which I'm going to share in a bit. It's simple yet delicious and simple too. These days, everyone is look for a simple meals and more to comfort. And this is the one……

I served it with waffles!!

Photobucket

Ingredients:
3 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup coarse salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 to 3 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, tights, and drumsticks)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup buttermilk
cooking oil

Method:
 1)For brine, in a resealable plastic bag set in a bowl combine the 3 cups buttermilk, the coarse salt, and sugar. Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise. Add all chicken pieces to the brine; seal bag. Chill for 2 to 4 hours; remove chicken from brine. Drain chicken; Pat dry with paper towels. Discard brine.

2)In a large bowl stir together flour, the 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Place the 3/4 cup buttermilk in a shallow dish. Coat chicken with flour mixture, dip in the buttermilk, and coat again with flour mixture.

3)Meanwhile, in a deep, heavy Dutch oven or kettle or a deep-fat fryer heat 1 1/2 inches oil to 350F. Using tongs, carefully add a few pieces of chicken to hot oil. (oil temperature will drop; maintain temperature at 325F) Fry chicken for 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170F for breast; 18-F for tights and drumsticks) and coating is golden, turning once. Drain on a wire rack or on paper towels. If desired, keep fried chicken warm in a 300F oven while frying remaining chicken pieces.

MAKES 6 SERVINGS

No comments:

Post a Comment